09/06/2022 Burkina Faso (International Christian Concern) – ICC has previously reported on the rise of jihadism in Burkina Faso, which has led to increased violent attacks by Islamic extremists. Many roads in the northern parts of the country are now completely controlled by militants, and convoys escorted by soldiers are often the only safe way to travel between towns.
On Monday, a bomb hit a convoy of vehicles in the northern region, killing at least 35 people and wounding dozens more. The convoy was escorted by the military and was traveling between Bourzanga and Djibo towns. One of the vehicles was carrying civilians.
No group has claimed responsibility for the attack, but local authorities attribute it to the radicalized Islamic rebels besieging the area.
This is the fifth explosion in the province since August, according to an internal security report for aid workers that was seen by The Associated Press. Last month, a double explosion in the same area killed 15 people.
Amidst the jihadist violence the region continues to experience, church leaders have shared their thoughts on the situation.
“The security situation in the country is getting worse every day; armed groups are advancing, there are attacks against the army, and the population is subject to its will,” said Fr. Etienne Tandamba, a priest of the diocese of Fada N’Gourma, in an interview late last year with RECOWA-CERAO, the Regional Episcopal Conference of West Africa.
Father Tandamba said that “the Church is resilient” and “continues to pray and find ways and means to announce the good news and care for Christian communities.”
“We continue to make great sacrifices to help the poor and needy, especially the internally displaced,” he said, adding that through radio and other forms of communication, the Church seeks to bring about “social cohesion and religious tolerance as well as dialogue.”
Please pray for the church in Burkina Faso as the country struggles with ongoing violence.
For interviews, please contact: email@example.com