Jihadist Group Killed 25 People in Northeastern DRC
07/11/2020 Democratic Republic of Congo (International Christian Concern) – On Wednesday July 8th, militiamen killed at least 25 people in the Democratic Republic of Congo’s (DRC) northeastern Ituri province, officials said on Thursday. Benoit Katshi, an official in Bunzenzele told Anadolu Agency the following, “the assailants, members of the armed group Cooperative for the Development of the Congo [CODECO], attacked the locality of Sindani-Akesi and targeted civilians. At least 25 people were killed. He said 10 injured people had been transferred to a hospital in Bunia, capital of Ituri.”
Jean Bamanisa, the gold-rich province’s governor, confirmed the attack but did not have the exact figure of casualties. He mentioned in a statement to Anadolu Agency that, “given the circumstances of the attack, the toll could be heavy.” Attacks on civilians in eastern DRC have increased over recent months, triggering anger against the UN peacekeeping force in the country. Most attacks in the region are blamed on CODECO, the Armed Forces of the Democratic Republic of Congo (FARDC), and the Allied Democratic Forces (ADF) insurgent groups. In January, the army-initiated operations against militias in Ituri as part of a wider offensive launched last October.
For interviews, please contact Olivia Miller, Communications Coordinator: firstname.lastname@example.org.