Chinese Bishop and Priests From Hebei Temporarily Released
02/09/2019 China (International Christian Concern) – A underground bishop and two priests from Hebei province in northern China who had been detained last year were able to go home for the Lunar New Year.
According to UCA News, Bishop Cui Tai, Father Su Guipeng and Father Zhao He of Xuanhua Diocese were able to go home in time for the Lunar New Year.
Bishop Cui who has been in poor health was allowed to go home on January 24 to visit his elderly sister but was banned from management of religious activities; Father Su went home on December 21 but also was banned from management of parish affairs; Father Zhao was allowed to go home on January 24 as well.
These Hebei underground clergy were taken away as early as last April by the local authorities in order to ‘learn the government’s new religious policy.’ However, the government’s ulterior motive is to force them to accept the authority of the Chinese Catholic Patriotic Association, which is controlled by Beijing.
A Catholic named Peter told UCA News, “As for what happens after Lunar New Year, it is very likely that they will be house arrested again,” he said.
For interviews with Gina Goh, ICC’s Regional Manager, please contact Olivia Miller, Communications Coordinator: firstname.lastname@example.org.