Rescuing and serving persecuted Christians since 1995
Select Page

ICC Note:  This weekend marked the one-year anniversary of ISIS militants attacking a bus caravan traveling to a monastery in Minya, Egypt. Twenty-eight Christians were killed. Those who survived, mostly children, and their families continue to struggle with the consequences. Even so, their faith remains strong as they pray for God’s grace on the militants’ responsible for the attack.

05/29/2018 Egypt (The Christian Post) – A Christian mother of six children who survived an attack by Islamic State terrorists as her family was traveling to a monastery in Egypt’s Minya region last year but lost her son-in-law, who refused to deny his faith, says she prays the attackers “will be touched by God.”

“We weren’t worried about our security at all,” says the mother, Nadia, in an interview with the Open Doors ministry in her house in the rural Egyptian town of Buni Suef, recalling the killing of 28 Egyptian Christians for their faith as they were on their way on a bus to a monastery in Minya to celebrate the Feast of the Ascension on May 26, 2017.

The men from Islamic State, also known as IS, ISIS, ISIL or Daesh, were in military clothing, standing on the road. The masked men shot the wheels of the bus, and first went to her son-in-law, Sameh, who was sitting at the front, and asked him to convert to Islam, she says.

He refused. And was shot. The ISIS men then came to his son, Hany. Nadia heard him say, “No, I am a Christian,” and a gunshot.

“Maybe you think I would rather have seen my son make a different choice,” she says. “And of course, as a mother, I am terribly sad and angry. But I am happy that I witnessed the faith I raised him in. I am thankful that he wouldn’t deny Christ even with his life in danger. He made the right choice, and that has been a huge comfort to me.”

After killing all the men in the bus, the attackers turned to the women and children. They grabbed Nadia’s 3-year-old grandson, Mina, and said they’d kill him, too, if the girls on the bus wouldn’t come with them.

However, they got distracted by an approaching pick-up truck and left to attack a father traveling to the monastery with his two sons. “I still thank God that He prevented the girls from being taken,” Nadia says. “The men would have abused them terribly.

[Full Story]

For interviews with Claire Evans, ICC’s Regional Manager, please contact Olivia Miller, Communications Coordinator: press@persecution.org