Giving hope to persecuted Christians since 1995
Select Page

ICC Note: Ji Hyeon-A, a North Korean defector woman told her story as a defector who had to go through harsh treatment when she was repatriated three times to North Korea – she was fed locusts, frogs and rats, endured hard labor, and worst yet, had to abort her unborn three-month-old baby at a police station with no medication. She gave her testimony at a UN event highlighting the plight of North Koreans as China tries to prevent Security Council from discussing North Korea’s human rights violations. 

12/12/2017 North Korea (Gospel Herald) –A North Korean defector opened up about the atrocities she endured in the isolated country, including how she was forced to have an abortion without medication following her repatriation from China.

During an event held by United States Ambassador to the United Nations Nikki Haley, Ji Hyeon-A shared how she was repatriated three times to North Korea after she was caught in China. She finally escaped to South Korea, but first endured unspeakable horrors at the hands of the North Korean government, Fox News reports.

The first time she was caught and returned to North Korea, Ji Hyeon-A was sent to a detention center, where she and other inmates were fed raw locusts, skinned frogs and rats as food. Sometimes, she witnessed inmates starve to death. Their dead bodies were then given to the guard dogs for food.

She described North Korea as “a terrifying prison and the Kim’s are carrying out a vast massacre and it takes a miracle to survive there.”

The third time Ji Hyeon-A was caught, she was three months pregnant with her first child. Because North Korea does not allow for mixed-race babies, she was one of hundreds of women forced to have an abortion without medication at a local police station.

“My first child passed away without ever seeing the world,” she said, “without any time for me to apologize.”

“Pregnant women were forced into harsh labor all day,” she said. “At night, we heard pregnant mothers screaming and babies died without ever being able to see their mothers.”

She finally reached South Korea in 2007 and has since been reunited with her mother, brother and her younger sister, but still has not heard news of her father.


[Full Story]