Giving hope to persecuted Christians since 1995
Select Page

ICC Note

Refugees and friends staged a protest outside the African Union headquarters in Addis Ababa last week. They were protesting the “systematic, widespread and gross human rights violations” in Eritrea, which the European Union concluding were taking place there. The group was calling for the release of the thousands of prisoners being held without charges in Eritrea, many for their religious beliefs. In May this year, more than 200 Evangelical Christians were arrested in Eritrea and most have been held since. There has been at least one report of a prisoner, a mother of three, dying while in custody due to the poor conditions of the prison camps. 


2017-11-20 Eritrea (WorldWatchMonitor) Eritrean refugees and representatives of the opposition living in Ethiopia staged a protest at the African Union headquarters in the capital, Addis Ababa, earlier this week to call for an end to Eritrea’s “reign of terror”.

The approximately 250 protestors handed a petition to the Chairperson of the African Union Commission, Moussa Faki Mahamat, calling for Eritrea to be forced to release all prisoners arrested and detained without charge.

“Today’s petition and demonstration is our fourth, but, sadly, all our previous appeals for help have been met with silence, indifference and inaction,” Eritrean refugee Dr. Bereket Berhane said, as reported by The Ethiopian Herald. “This has only emboldened the government of Eritrea to intensify its reign of terror.”

In July the European Parliament (EP) passed a resolution condemning in “the strongest terms” the “systematic, widespread and gross human rights violations” in Eritrea.

This followed the UN’s 2016 report, which concluded that the country’s “crimes against humanity” should be investigated by the International Criminal Court.


Recent raids

More than 200 Christians were rounded up in a series of raids between May and August this year. One of those detained, an Eritrean mother-of-three, died in August in a desert camp where she had been held. Her husband and son were among 38 Christians who were released in October. Only then did they learn of her death.


Full Story