Giving hope to persecuted Christians since 1995
Select Page

ICC Note

Church Leaders in Nigeria are calling for the government to provide aide to its citizens and the churches that have been affected by Boko Haram over the last decade. According to The Catholic Bishops of Kaduna Ecclesiastical Province, the Nigerian Government has yet to provide any compensation to the Catholic Church or any of its members that have had their places of Worship burned down, homes lost or destroyed and family members taken. They are calling for a more involved government in healing these broken lives.

 

2017-08-23 Nigeria (PremiumTimes) The Catholic Bishops of Kaduna Ecclesiastical Province have urged the federal government to compensate churches and other victims of attacks carried out by insurgents on places of worship.

Mathew Ndagoso, their spokesman, made the plea on Tuesday in Minna, in a briefing after a two-day Catholic Bishops of Kaduna Ecclesiastical Province plenary session, held at St. Michael Cathedral, Minna.

“In the past six years, insurgents have attacked churches and other Christian places in the north, but the federal government is yet to compensate the victims.

“We want to inform you that the Catholic Church has not received any support from the federal government for the Churches affected,” the bishop said.

“In Niger, the first terrorist attack was on St. Theresa Catholic Church, Madalla, on December 25, 2011.

“Last year, some youths attacked the St. Philips Catholic ‎Church, Bakin Iku, near Suleja, destroying properties valued at several millions of Naira. No one has even sympathised with us,” he said.

‎The bishop opined that the federal government was supposed to be responsible for giving assistance to the churches and the victims.

 

 

Full Story