Two more crosses were desecrated in a village in India’s Goa state on Thursday. This most recent incident comes only days after 20 crosses were desecrated earlier this week. The series of incidents has pushed the local authorities to launch an investigation into the desecration. Last month, several Hindu radical groups held large rallies in Goa where they set a goal to make India Muslim and Christian free by 2023. It is likely individuals inspired by these rallies are behind the cross desecrations.
07/16/2017 India (Business Standard) – Two more Catholic crosses were desecrated in a village in Goa early on Thursday, police said.
Deputy Inspector General of Police Rupinder Kumar said the desecration happened in Loutolim village.
The incident followed a series of desecrations of Catholic icons of worship as well as some Hindu symbols in the south Goa district.
The Congress as well as Goa Deputy Speaker and BJP MLA Michael Lobo have demanded a Central Bureau of Investigation probe into the serial desecration.