A Facebook video showed Iraqi military personnel beating and killing suspected ISIS fighters in Mosul. The government has suspended these soldiers and has condemned these actions. The Iraqi government wants to prevent revenge attacks that would undermine long term stability. ISIS members are to be handed over to courts for trial so that justice can be administered properly.
07/16/2017 Iraq (Sydney Morning Herald) – A number of Iraqi military personnel have been suspended and an investigation launched after Human Rights Watch has condemned videos circulating on social media purportedly showing Iraqi forces killing and beating suspected Islamic State fighters in Mosul.
The videos were posted to Facebook earlier this week, a day after Iraqi Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi declared “total victory” in Mosul, according to The Associated Press. On Thursday, a spokesman for Iraq’s Defence Ministry said he had not seen the videos but that such incidents will not be tolerated.
Earlier Human Rights Watch (HRW) accused Iraqi security forces of forcibly relocating at least 170 families of alleged Islamic State members to a closed “rehabilitation camp” as a form of collective punishment.
Abadi announced victory over IS in Mosul on Monday, three years after the militants seized the city and made it the stronghold of a “caliphate” they said would take over the world.