Egyptian President Abdel-Fattah al-Sisi has called a security meeting in the wake of the deadly attack today against Coptic Christians traveling to a monastery to pray. This is another attack in a series of attacks against Coptic Christians that include the Church bombings on Palm Sunday. Although President Sisi condemned the rising violence against Christians in Egypt he hasn’t done much else to address the issue. Hopefully the security meeting will produce action to protect the Christian community in Egypt.
2017-05-26 Egypt (Today) – Egyptian President Abdel-Fattah al-Sisi called a meeting of security officials in the wake of a deadly attack on a group of Christians in the south of the country on Friday, the state news agency said.
Masked gunmen attacked a group of Coptic Christians in southern Egypt, killing 26 people and wounding 26 others as they were driving to a monastery, medical sources and eyewitnesses said.
The group was traveling in two buses and a small truck in Minya province, which is home to a sizeable Christian minority, the sources said.
Provincial governor Essam al-Bedaiwy said earlier that 23 people had been killed and 25 wounded.