ICC Note: Over the weekend 82 Chibok girls were released by Boko Haram, after negotiating with the Nigerian government the exchange of five of their imprisoned fighters. These girls were abducted in 2014 and many of them were abused and forced to convert to Islam. Women in Nigeria are constantly victims of abuse, but Christian women are considered a double target in the area because they are persecuted for both their gender and religion.
05/11/2017, Nigeria (CBS News) – Parents of the 82 Nigerian schoolgirls released over the weekend from Boko Haram captivity said Wednesday they still were awaiting word from the government on when they will be able to see their daughters.
One father said he was thrilled to find out his daughter was among those released in exchange for five Boko Haram commanders. But Abana Ishaya said he cannot travel the long distance from his home in northern Nigeria to the capital without the government’s invitation and assurance that he will see her.
Boko Haram kidnapped 276 schoolgirls from the town of Chibok in April 2014, bringing the extremist group’s deadly rampage in northern Nigeria to the world’s attention. A first group of 21 girls was freed in October and they have been in government care since then, despite calls by families and human rights groups for them to be released to their loved ones.