This morning Xie Yang pleaded guilty to subversion of state power, for disrupting court proceedings, and withdrew his claims of torture. He said, “Everyone should take me as a warning to certainly stay within the framework of the law, and avoid being exploited by Western anti-China forces.” However, months ago Xie claimed that if he ever “confessed” or pleaded guilty it would be due to extensive torture or threats against his family. Bob Fu of China Aid said, “Today’s so-called ‘trial’ on Xie Yang is nothing but an orchestrated, disgusting, political persecution show against an innocent human rights lawyer. The undeniable facts of torture Xie has been suffering from both his interrogators and prosecutors will serve as historical evidence that the trial itself was unjust and unfair. Xie is completely innocent and should be released unconditionally.” Xie has defended many in Chinese courts, including Christians. He was one of many human rights activists detained in the so called “709 Crackdown” in which many activists were detained in 2015.
5/9/2017 Indonesia (China Aid) – A court in Changsha, the capital of China’s central Hunan province tried a prominent human rights lawyer for subversion today after a year and a half in prison.
Xie Yang was originally arrested during the now infamous “709 crackdown,” a widespread mass detainment of human rights lawyers that began on July 9, 2015. Xie himself was detained on July 11, 2015.
During Xie’s time in prison, he revealed that he had been tortured and the lawyers appointed by his family were blocked numerous times from being able to meet with him. China launched a propaganda campaign in response, claiming that the reports were false.