Giving hope to persecuted Christians since 1995
Select Page

ICC Note: A joint operation between Nigerian and Cameroonian military forces has resulted in the rescue of nearly 1,300 captives from Boko Haram on the eve of the two-year anniversary of the Chibok abduction. Reports suggest regional military operations continue to score successes in the war against the militant Islamist insurgency. Soldiers also killed 22 fighters and arrested three Boko Haram emirs who were reportedly begging for food. Boko Haram abducted nearly 300 mostly Christian girls from Chibok, Nigeria in April 2014, likely marrying them off to fighters and subjecting them to untold persecution and torture.

By Morgan Winsor

4/13/16 Nigeria and Cameroon (IBT) – Nigerian and Cameroonian troops killed 22 suspected Boko Haram fighters and arrested three purported commanders of the Islamic militant group during a massive raid Monday along the mountainous border region that separates the neighboring countries. The combined forces also rescued 1,275 captives held in several terrorist hideouts, Nigerian army representative Col. Sani Usman said in an online statement Tuesday.

“During the operation, the troops cleared Nbaga, Bula, Dabube, Ybiri, Greya and Suduwa towns and other adjoining settlements. The towns and settlements were occupied by suspected fleeing Boko Haram terrorists who escaped from villages previously cleared by troops of the Nigerian army,” Usman said. “It is gratifying to note that the operation was a huge success as there was no casualty or injury on the troops.”

The suspected Boko Haram emirs arrested Monday were identified as Lawal Abba, Mallam Gana and Mallam Hisna from the towns of Shatte, Bula Burra and Bulla Jaja, respectively. The hundreds of captives who were freed are being registered and screened before being relocated to an internally displaced persons camp, Usman said.

[Full Story]