ICC Note: Chinese government authorities unilaterally bulldozed and destroyed the homes of hundreds of ethnic Tibetans beginning in the early hours of the morning without apparent warning. Although authorities gave no reason for their actions, the apparent reason for the destruction of the homes and the displacement of hundreds of families was to maintain the beauty of a rather scenic area.
By Sonam Wangdu
10/27/2015 China (Radio Free Asia)
The ongoing demolition by Chinese authorities of Tibetan dwellings near a scenic lake in northwestern China’s Qinghai province has left over 900 homeless and living in tents following a renewed assault, according to sources in the region and in exile.
The destruction in Gonpodung Kala village in Chabcha (in Chinese, Gonghe) county’s Trelnak township in the Tsolho (Hainan) Tibetan Autonomous Prefecture took place late last week after the leveling a few days earlier of homes and shops elsewhere in Trelnak, a local source told RFA’s Tibetan Service.
“On Oct. 22, a group of police arrived with bulldozers and began at around 4:20 p.m. to tear down over 240 houses built by Tibetan residents,” RFA’s source said, adding, “The authorities gave no reasons for the demolition.”
“Afterward, about 960 Tibetans from the village were left without houses and had to take shelter in tents,” the source said, speaking on condition of anonymity.
“They were not allowed to take photos of the wreckage or to go anywhere near their destroyed property,” he added.
Speaking separately, a Tibetan living in exile confirmed the resident’s account, citing contacts in the area.
“The Tibetan victims were given no chance to question the Chinese actions,” Dolma Tso told RFA from her home in India.
“The demolition was completed within a short time, and the Tibetans were not allowed near the site of their demolished homes,” she said.