ICC Note: Three female suicide bombers targeted a mosque Friday morning in Maiduguri, Nigeria killing at least 39 people and injuring scores, according to the BBC. Maiduguri has been considered the birthplace of the Islamic terrorist organization Boko Haram. Reports suggest the female suicide bombers were between the ages of 11 and 15 years old. This comes a day after similar blasts occurred at another mosque killing at least 32 people. Boko Haram has increased their consistency with suicide attacks in the region. The age and gender of the suicide bombers raises the question on whether Boko Haram is using girls from Chibok who kidnapped from a government school April of 2014 for this brutal purpose.
10/16/2015 Maiduguri, Nigeria (BBC) – At least 39 people have died after multiple explosions in the Nigerian city of Maiduguri, an emergency official says.
Three female suicide bombers, thought to be aged between 11 and 15, struck on Friday morning, an official with the National Emergency Management Agency told BBC Hausa.
It follows bomb attacks on a mosque on Thursday, which killed at least 32.
Maiduguri is often targeted by the Islamist militant group Boko Haram.
No group has yet said it was behind the attack during Thursday’s evening prayers, that also left many people injured.
More than 100 people were killed in three explosions last month in the city, which is considered the birthplace of Boko Haram.
In Thursday’s attack, officials say the first suicide bomber blew himself up inside the mosque, with a second bomber detonating explosives as people rushed to help those injured in the initial blast.
The explosions caused parts of the mosque to collapse, leading to further injuries.
Nigerian military spokesman Sani Kukasheka Usman told the BBC’s Newsday programme that Boko Haram was resorting to suicide attacks because “they have been degraded to the extent that they can no longer fight collectively”.