On July 23, the Central African Republic signed a 10-part cease fire agreement in Brazzaville, capital of neighboring Congo. Following a militant coup by the transnational Islamic insurgency, Séléka, in March of 2013, Christians were abused, raped and murdered, their communities plundered and churches burnt to the ground. Following Séléka’s ousting from power in December of last year, tit-for-tat reprisals between Islamic militants and Christian and animist vigilante forces have resulted to thousands of civilian deaths and the displacement of more than one million from the capital of Bangui.
08/01/2014 Central African Republic (World Watch Monitor) – Armed groups in the Central African Republic have reached a cease-fire deal aimed at putting an end to the violence that has engulfed the country since March 2013.
The 10-part agreement was signed July 23 in Brazzaville, the capital of the neighboring Republic of Congo, under the aegis of Congolese President Denis Sassou Nguesso, the international mediator on the crisis in CAR.
The ceasefire is a step toward a resolution of the crisis, said the Archbishop of Bangui, Dieudonné Nzapalainga, who attended the Brazzaville meeting on behalf of the Interfaith Platform, formed of Christian and Muslim leaders.
”A Christian is one who lets himself be nourished by hope and therefore, I can only hope that this is the beginning of the end,’’ he told World Watch Monitor.