Nigerian State Governor Claims Knowledge of Abducted Girls’ Whereabouts
According to recent reports, Governor of Nigeria’s Northeastern Borno State, Kashim Shettima, has information that could lead to the location and release of as many as 200 of the more tan 240 school girls abducted by Boko Haram. According to Shettima, documents containing information potentially detailing the whereabouts of hundreds of the abducted girls have been turned over the Nigerian Army for analysis and verification. In what has become an increasingly international search effort to locate and release those abducted, Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan announced the impending arrival of Israeli intelligence officials, adding to the coalition of international assistance being offered to the Nigerian state from that of the U.S., the U.K., and China, amongst others. French President Francois Hollande has proposed a security conference to bring together members of the Nigerian, Niger, Chadian, and Cameroonian governments as well as members of the international community, as many analysts fear the girls have been transported into unregulated areas on those countries borders.
05/11/2014 Nigeria (BBC) – The governor of Nigeria’s Borno state says he has information on the whereabouts of about 200 schoolgirls kidnapped by Islamist group Boko Haram.
Governor Kashim Shettima said he had passed reports of the sightings of the girls to the military for verification.
Mr Shettima added that he did not think the girls had been taken across the border to Chad or Cameroon.
Earlier, France’s president offered to host a summit on Boko Haram.
“I suggested, with Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan, a meeting of Nigeria’s neighbouring countries” Francois Hollande said.
“If the countries agree, it should take place next Saturday” he added.
Countries neighbouring Nigeria, such as Cameroon, Niger and Chad, would be invited to the security summit.
Aides said the US, UK and EU would also be likely to attend.
The US, UK and France have already pledged technical assistance to the Nigerian government.
Meanwhile, President Jonathan said an Israeli counter-terrorism team would arrive in Nigeria to help in searching for the schoolgirls, who were abducted last month.