International Monitors Confirm 234 School Girls Still Kidnapped
Nearly a week after the abduction, international monitors are now confirming ICC’s report that more than 240 school girls were kidnapped by Islamic militants from their secondary school in Chibok, a predominantly Christian neighborhood: a rarity in Nigeria’s increasingly Islamic north. Suspected to be the work of Foreign Terrorist Organization (FTO) Boko Haram, search parties composed mostly of vigilantes and concerned parents continues to ravage Nigerian forest in search of their loved ones. ICC, in tandem with the international community, continues to raise concerns regarding the Nigeria’s ability to provide adequate security to northern Christians suffering at the hands of impugned Islamic militants.
04/22/2014 Nigeria (FoxNews) – 234 girls are still missing from the Nigerian school attacked last week by Islamic extremists, significantly more than the 85 reported by education officials, parents told the state governor.
The higher figure came out a week after the kidnappings when the Borno state governor insisted a military escort take him to the town. Parents told the governor that officials would not listen to them when they drew up their list of names of missing children and the total reached 234.
The discrepancy in the figures could not immediately be resolved.
Security officials had warned Gov. Kashim Shettima that it was too dangerous for him to drive to Chibok, 80 miles from Maiduguri, the Borno state capital and birthplace of the Boko Haram terrorist network blamed for the abductions.
Borno state education commission Musa Inuwo Kubo and the principal of the Chibok Government Girls Secondary School had initially said that 129 science students were at the school to write a physics exam when the abductors struck, after midnight on April 14. Twenty-eight pupils escaped from their captors between Tuesday and Friday. Then another 16 were found to be day scholars who had returned to their homes in Chibok before the attack. That left 85 missing students, according to school officials.
This latest confusion comes after the military had reported last week that all but eight of those abducted had been rescued — but then retracted the claim the following day.