Rescuing and serving persecuted Christians since 1995
Select Page

ICC Note: An Islamic-led insurgency threatens one of the world’s oldest Christian communities. Four months after Egyptians chased their president out of office, radical Muslims still blame Christians for the uprising. Now Egypt’s Coptic Christians face almost daily attacks.
11/3/2013 EGYPT (CBN) –  On July 3, as the sun set over Cairo, hundreds of thousands of Egyptians celebrated in Tahrir (Liberation) Square. It was game over for President Mohammed Morsi.
“Morsi was an Islamist leader who had big dreams for Egypt,” Bolous Georgas, an evangelical believer, said.
As Egypt’s first democratically elected Islamist president, Morsi also led the radical Muslim Brotherhood.
But after just one year in office Egyptians had had enough. Georgas joined the millions demanding he step down.
“The Muslim Brotherhood believed Morsi was going to bring back the glory of Islam, purify Egypt of non-Muslims and turn it into Islamic country,” he said.
That worried Georgas because he’s part of the 10 percent or so of Egypt’s Christian population.
“Everyone knew we were also protesting against the Morsi government,” he said.
Samir Abaskhiroune, a prominent Egyptian Christian and an Assemblies of God superintendent, believes Morsi’s removal was nothing short of a miracle.
“Christians felt like a heavy burden had been removed from our nation. We could never have imagined that such an outcome was possible, but we prayed and God answered,” Abaskhiroune said.
But then came the Islamic threats.
“We started hearing messages on television, in mosques and on the streets — people saying they were going to kill Christians for protesting against Morsi and the Brotherhood,” Georgas recalled. “They said our family, our children, our homes and businesses would be targets.”
It turned out Egyptian Christians had every reason to be concerned.
“The streets were quiet that evening. I remember there were not too many cars on the road, not a lot of people walking around,” Feby Zakrya, the wife of Boulous Georgas, recalled.
Georgas’ wife was at home the evening they got the call that changed their lives forever.
“My friend was screaming on the phone, ‘Jessi has been shot! Jessi has been shot’!” Zakrya said.
“The day was Aug. 6, around 7:15 in the evening. Jessi had just walked out of church having finished nine days of a 10-day Vacation Bible School. She had walked down this very street, came to this spot that I’m standing at and then one single shot to the heart ended her life,” her mother said.
“Jessi was our only little child. She was a wonderful person,” Georgas cried.
She was only 10 years old.