Egypt’s tourism minister has called it quits after Morsi appointed a new governor of Luxor who is linked to the Islamist party known for a massacre of tourists in 1997. The minister said “couldn’t continue in the role of tourism minister” after the appointment of Adel al-Khayat. Clashes have erupted in several cities in Egypt regarding Morsi’s appointments, seven of which are members of the Muslim Brotherhood. Approximately 26 people have been injured so far.
06/19/2013 Egypt (AlJazeera)- Egypt’s tourism minister has resigned a day after President Mohamed Morsi appointed a new governor to Luxor province from an Islamist party linked to a massacre of holidaymakers in the temple city.
Hesham Zazou said on Wednesday he “couldn’t continue in the role of tourism minister” after the appointment of Adel al-Khayat, a former member of the political arm of Islamist group Gamaa Islamiya.
Gamaa Islamiya claimed responsibility for the attack on a major tourist attraction in Luxor killing 58 foreign nationals in 1997.
Ministry spokeswoman Rasha al-Azaizy told the MENA news agency that the Prime Minister Hesham Qandil had refused to accept Zazou’s resignation and asked him to remain in his post until the situation is reviewed.
But she said Zazou insisted he would cease to work “as long as the new governor remains in his post, greatly harming tourism in Egypt generally and in Luxor specifically”.
President Morsi named Khayat along with 16 other new governors on Sunday, including seven from his Muslim Brotherhood movement.
His appointment deals a blow to the once lucrative tourism industry struggling to recover after the 2011 uprising that toppled former President Hosni Mubarak.