Tanzania has formally charged 20 year old Victor Ambrose Calist, a motorcycle driver suspected of throwing the bomb into St. Joseph’s Catholic killing three and wounding over 60. Tanzania has also announced that it has released the four foreigners it arrested who they suspected in connection with the bombing. Three citizens from the United Arab Emirates and one citizen from Saudi Arabia were released after investigations showed they were not involved in the bombing. Please, pray for justice and peace for the victims of this bombing.
5/14/2013 Tanzania (BBC News) – Tanzania has freed three Emiratis and a Saudi arrested over the bombing of a church in the northern city of Arusha on 5 May, police say.
The four turned out to be tourists who had nothing to do with the attack, Arusha Regional Police Commander Liberatus Sabas said.
Tanzanian Victor Ambrose Calist was charged on Monday in connection with the attack, he added.
At least three people were killed and 60 others wounded in the blast.
Tanzania’s President Jakaya Kikwete condemned the attack as an act of terrorism.
Taxi Operator Charged
The bombing occurred during the inaugural Mass at St Joseph’s Roman Catholic church in Olasti, a suburb of Arusha which is predominantly Christian.
Neighbouring Kenya and Uganda were assisting with the investigation, Cdr Sabas said.
Thirty-one of the wounded were still being treated in hospital, he added.
Mr Calist, a 20-year motor cycle taxi operator, appeared in a magistrate’s court on Monday on three counts of murder and 18 of attempted murder.
He was not asked to plead and was remanded in custody.
After the blast, police said eight people – including four Saudis – had been arrested while trying to cross into Kenya.
Later, they said that only one of the Arabs was Saudi and the other three were Emiratis.
Both the Saudi and Emirati governments confirmed that the four were released on Sunday.
Investigations showed that they were not involved in the bombing, Cdr Sabas said.