Rescuing and serving persecuted Christians since 1995
Select Page

05/22/2012 Mauritania (CIC) – The Muslim population of Mauritania is in an uproar over an alleged burning of Qur’ans on April 27 after Islamic prayers.

According to the Voice of the Martyrs, Canada (VCM), Muslim protestors claim other Islamic books were also burned and copies of the Gospel were distributed at the event, implicating Christians in their accusations.

The Mauritanian government has been called upon to investigate all Christians and their participation in the event.

Located in West Africa, Mauritania follows Sharia law, and often the burning of a Qur’an is punished by imprisonment or death.

Unfortunately, as one of the most-restricted countries in the world, Mauritania does not have a good track record when it comes to fair treatment of Christians. According to the Open Doors World Watch List, Mauritania ranks 14th for Christian persecution.

Believers in Mauritania have endured imprisonment, beatings, and expulsion from families or tribes for their faith. Missionaries suspected of trying to convert Mauritanian Muslims have been harassed, interrogated, briefly imprisoned, expelled from the country, and even murdered.

A case in 2009 in which an expatriate believer was killed by Muslim terrorists led to many other foreign Christians fleeing Mauritania.

Of Mauritania’s population of over 3 million, believers only represent 0.25% of the population, with the other 99.75% claiming the Muslim faith. Most of Mauritania’s population is completely unreached with the Gospel.

[Full Story]