At least 7 dead in S Philippine killings
At least seven have been reported dead in “vendetta” killings reportedly over a land dispute between Christians and natives in the southern Philippines. This area is one where Christians are commonly persecuted.
3/2/09 Philippines (ChinaView) The death toll in the vendetta killings over a land dispute last week in the southern Philippines has reached seven, officials said on Monday.
Thirty-eight families have also fled their houses in the remote village of Sibuano, South Cotabato province, following the on-and-off fighting between a Christian clan and natives, Remegio Roxas, a local director of the Philippine National Red Cross, told a local radio station.
Six Filipino residents, including two children, were initially killed on Feb. 26 in a massacre staged by armed men in the southern village.
The victims were inside their house when the attackers, all armed with highly-powered firearms, arrived and peppered them with bullets.
Julie Cayon, a relative of Caridad Saligan, 54, who was among the killed on Feb. 26, said his aunt had just finished her supper when the band of armed men arrived.
She immediately ran away from their house built with light materials and tried to hide herself but she was seen and shot dead by one of the attackers armed with 12-gauge shotguns.
“They killed them helpless. They are not even armed. Why they are doing this to us?” Cayon said.