Rescuing and serving persecuted Christians since 1995
Select Page

ICC Note: The fact that these men are being released is just more evidence that the three Catholic men were killed to appease the Muslims in Indonesia . Those men were innocent but executed anyway. Where as the Bali bombers are obviously guilty and being set free.

Two Bali bomb convicts to be freed

10/24/06 Indonesia (Reuters) – Two Indonesians convicted over the 2002 Bali bombings that killed 202 people will be freed from jail on Tuesday after having their sentences cut to mark a Muslim holiday, prison officials said.

Similar moves in the past to cut sentences of those convicted over the attacks have been slammed by countries whose nationals in the attack. Most of those killed by the blasts were foreign tourists, including 88 Australians.

“Sirojul Munir who has been detained since January 16 2003 will receive a one month cut to his sentence,” Edi, a prison official in Balikpapan in East Kalimantan province where he is being held, said.

Munir, whom media reports said was convicted for harboring two of the bomb masterminds, was given a five-year sentence which was reduced later on.

A second person convicted over the bombings held in a jail in Bali would also be released after remission, another prison official said.

“Bali bomb convict Mudjarot will be freed tomorrow after receiving a remission of one month and fifteen days,” Ilham Djaya, the head of Bali prison said, without elaborating. Details of his conviction were not immediately available.

The remissions are linked to celebrations on Tuesday for Eid al-Fitr to marks the end of the Muslim fasting month of Ramadan.

Indonesia traditionally has a prisoner remission program on various days of the year, including independence from Dutch colonial rule on August 17.

Australia has previously asked Indonesia to review automatic remissions for people convicted of terrorism-related crimes, and Jakarta has said it is reviewing the programme.

Reuters