The Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN) has call for the dissolution of the Presidential Committee on Dialogue and Peaceful Resolution of Security Challenges in the North, mainly tasked with bringing the Boko Haram conflict to a peaceful conclusion. CAN has alleged that members of the committee have deceived the Nigerians they were tasked to protect when they falsely reported a ceasefire deal with the Islamic extremist group late last week. The conflict between Boko Haram and the Nigerian government has continued into its fourth year. The group is thought to be responsible for almost 4,000 murders across Northern Nigeria, many of their victims being targeted because of their Christian faith.
7/16/2013 Nigeria (AllAfrica) - The Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN) in the 19 northern states and the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) Sunday called for the immediate disbandment of the Presidential Committee on Dialogue and Peaceful Resolution of Security Challenges in the North, alleging that the committee had deceived Nigerians.
The religious body also said its National President, Pastor Ayo Oritsejafor, had been vindicated over the scepticism he had expressed on the purported ceasefire said to have been reached with the federal government and outlawed terrorist sect, Boko Haram.
Reacting to the disclaimer by the leader of the Boko Haram sect, Abu-Bakr Shekau, that the sect had entered a ceasefire deal with the federal government, the spokesman of CAN in the 19 northern states, Mr. Sunday Oibe, said the dialogue committee headed by the Minister of Special Duties, Alhaji Kabiru Turaki, was being economical with the truth about its recent claim that it had signed a pact with the sect for a ceasefire.
The minister had announced last week that the committee had secured a ceasefire deal with the sect. He had informed THISDAY that the committee had negotiated with the "mainstream" Boko Haram and with the full knowledge of Shekau However, the sect's leader, Shekau, at the weekend debunked the ceasefire claims, saying, "We will not enter into any truce with the Nigerian government."
Oibe, in an interview with journalists in Kaduna yesterday, expressed doubts about the credibility of the committee and urged President Goodluck Jonathan to disband it in order to avoid further waste of public funds.
Oibe said rather than spending money on the committee, such monies should be channelled to the Joint Military Task Force (JTF) to further boost their operations in combating terrorism. "We in Northern CAN believe that the amnesty committee is useless and has failed. It lied to Nigerians about this ceasefire just to deceive President Goodluck Jonathan so as to grab more money.
"All those giving the president this unwise advice are either doing it for self-serving reasons, or are trying to deceive him into making a blunder that will not only destroy him politically, but jeopardise the corporate existence of Nigeria."
"Today Boko Haram's number one man has come out to speak with scorn and contempt against the ceasefire agreement and the lack of feeling of remorse for their thirst for the blood of Christians and some Muslims who go against their interest."