Syria: Last Christian in Homs Killed
Following the flight of hundreds of Christians from Homs earlier this year, some like Elias Mansour, an 84-year-old Greek- Orthodox Christian, have refused to leave. According to Agenzia Fides, the official Vatican news agency, Mansour was murdered on October 30. While thousands of Christians lived in Homs prior to Syria’s uprising early last year, reports indicate that only 100 Christian civilians remain today. Many have fled because of religious-based violence in Syria’s ongoing civil war.
10/31/2012 Syria (ANSAmed)- …
According to the Vatican's Fides news agency, 84-year-old Elias Mansour, a Greek-Orthodox Christian did not want to leave his home on Wadi Sayeh street - even though he knew his life was in danger - because he had to take care of his handicapped son, Adnane.
The Wadi Sayeh area, inhabited by both Christians and Sunni Muslims, is still at the centre of clashes between the army and rebel troops. The rebels have barricaded themselves in the areas of Khalidiyeh, Bab Houd, Bustan diwan, Hamidiyeh and the streets of Wadi Sayeh and Ouret al shayyah, surrounded by regular army forces. A Greek-Orthodox priest told Fides that Elias Mansour was killed yesterday. In the days preceding his murder, Mansour reportedly said that nothing would induce him to leave his home, adding that, if he met the rebels, "He would remind them about the Ten Commandments and the Holy Scriptures." The funeral will be celebrated today in an Orthodox church. Meanwhile, an Orthodox priest is trying to track down his disabled son, his fate remains unknown. According to Fides, the convent of the Jesuits in the Hamidiyeh area was also hit during ongoing fighting. The structure has undergone minor damage but no victims have been reported. The Jesuits and the displaced people who are sheltering within said that they have experienced moments of fear, but are unharmed.