Boko Haram Kills Six at Ramadan Start
Attacks by the Boko Haram continue in Nigeria. The start of Ramadan brought about more attacks, which is not entirely unexpected. “ More Boko Haram attacks like this only increase the concerns of Christians, many of whom bring machetes with them to church to defend themselves from militants.”
7/23/2012 Nigeria (CharismaNews)- Six more people were killed late last week at the hands of Nigerian terrorist group Boko Haram.
Attacks on Christian churches by Boko Haram have been practically a weekly occurrence in Nigeria for the last couple of months. But this particular string of attacks was not directly against Christians. Instead, the attacks included a run-in with the military Joint Task Force (JTF).
Two people were killed in Maiduguri during a gunfight between the JTF and suspected Boko Haram members, according to Reuters. Gunmen later killed four people at a nearby market.
The attacks took place the day after Nigerian president Goodluck Jonathan agreed to lift the state of emergency on several regions.
"It seems like they clearly are making a statement," says Todd Nettleton with Voice of the Martyrs. "But it also is the beginning of Ramadan, so it's interesting to think that may also play into this."
During the Muslim holy month of Ramadan, jihadists often have increased their attacks. Ramadan just began on Friday.
More Boko Haram attacks like this only increase the concerns of Christians, many of whom bring machetes with them to church to defend themselves from militants. But onlookers say the way these particular attacks were handled by the government is actually a good indicator.
"I think one of the positive things about this story is that the military was actually fighting back against Boko Haram," says Nettleton. "That has not always been the case in the attacks in Nigeria, so the fact that the military was involved--that they were trying to take an active role in stopping Boko Haram--is good news."